The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for the preservation of the property which entails many tasks and responsibilities. Under the supervision of the Community Manager, the incumbent in this position is required to maintain the property in accordance with procedures set forth in Royal American Management’s Policies and Procedures Manual.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a description of the major responsibilities of this position. These job duties are subject to change according to department requirements. This is a summary and is not meant to include all activities that may be required to successfully perform in this job.
- The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for having knowledge of all maintenance requirements for the property.
- The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for keeping accurate records regarding preventive maintenance, work orders, unit refurbishing, annual inspections, and inventories in accordance with procedures established in Royal American Management’s Policies and Procedures Manual.
- The Maintenance Superintendent must be willing to participate in a standby emergency schedule for evening, weekend and holiday coverage.
- The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for performing scheduled maintenance on all equipment, based on the manufacturer’s recommendations and operating manuals.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will inspect all apartment units, buildings, and common areas, performing repairs and janitorial assistance in accordance with Royal American Management’s Policies and Procedures Manual.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will maintain the grounds in accordance with the schedule set forth in the procedures manual.
- The Maintenance Superintendent is directly responsible for scheduling Work Order requirements, adhering to maintenance priorities.
- The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for being aware of all contractual obligations relating to maintenance so as to keep the Community Manager abreast of any incidents of non-compliance.
- HVAC Certification preferred. The Maintenance department must be able to troubleshoot the system and make repairs to fan motors, thermostats, contactors, etc. Maintenance will, under no circumstances, make repairs to any components involving the freon system, to include replacement of components containing Freon, recovery of Freon from the system or addition of Freon to the system unless properly certified. At no time under any circumstances is Freon ever to be vented into the atmosphere. Failure to comply will result in immediate termination.
- It is the responsibility of the Maintenance Superintendent to ensure storage areas and entrances are locked and adequate lighting of areas is maintained at all times.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will obtain a state license for application of pesticides, if required, and under general direction of the Regional Manger or Vice-President, exterminate apartment units and common areas in accordance with the Policy and Procedures Manual.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will perform light electrical repairs on items such as appliances, fixtures, switches, outlets, circuits, etc. Light plumbing work, such as clearing stoppages, replacing fittings, etc., will also be required. Replacement and repair of broken glass, tile, screens, draperies and locks is a requirement of this position.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will redecorate vacant units, including painting, cleaning of appliances, vacuuming and other related tasks required to prepare a unit for re-occupancy.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will perform carpentry work, such as fitting doors, freeing windows, replacing and building shelves and refinishing floors.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will assist in custodial work, including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, emptying trash, cleaning windows, etc., in the common areas.
- The Maintenance Superintendent if applicable have knowledge of pool and spa care.
- The Maintenance Superintendent will perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Community Manager, Area Manager, Regional Manager, Vice-President or President of Royal American Management, Inc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The Maintenance Superintendent will be responsible for certain knowledge, skills and abilities in the performance of his/her duties as Maintenance Superintendent. These activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to safely access all areas of the property’s grounds, regardless of grounds conditions and/or weather conditions.
- Ability to safely access all structures, including multi-level structures, without the assistance of an elevator.
- Ability to read, understand and follow instructions contained in handwritten Work Orders, provide handwritten responses to same, and complete handwritten reports in accordance with procedures established in Royal American Management’s Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Ability to read and understand various manuals, instructions and other printed materials, such as regulation manuals, procedures manuals, warning labels and directional labeling on materials needed to perform various tasks.
- Ability to safely lift and carry weights up to fifty (50) pounds without assistance.
- Ability to safely move large appliances such as ranges, refrigerators and washing machines with the use of a hand truck.
- Ability to safely use hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, saws, various power tools including hand held drills and circular saws.
- Ability to safely ascend and descend various types of ladders unassisted.
- Ability to tolerate normal levels of caustic chemicals and pest control chemicals.
- Ability to safely stoop, bend and kneel as may be required in various jobs requiring these positions.
- Ability to safely perform all activities described in this section for a period of eight (8) consecutive hours for full-time employees and for a period of four (4) consecutive hours for part-time employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, residents and vendors.
- Ability to stay aware of all work-safety requirements pertinent to the position.
- Incumbent must possess some type of formal training or experience in the following areas: carpentry, light plumbing work, light electrical work, painting, refurnishing and cleaning, and air conditioning.
- Ability to travel for the purpose of conducting regular property business. Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Position requires incumbent to have the tools and equipment generally associated with the field of multi-family apartment maintenance, along with experience in using specific tools and equipment.
- Incumbent must have at least a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Willingness to accept other tasks and responsibilities that may not be strictly related to repair and maintenance.
- Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English is required.